On an even “whiter” note, with the coming of winter, the eyes of the inhabitants of this area turn northward willing the snow to arrive. No matter how long one has been here, the joys of ALPINE AND NORDIC SKIING, SNOWSHOEING, SNOWBOARDING, SLIDING, TOBOGGANING and ICE SKATING, is always much anticipated. The gamut of winter sports and activities tugs at us until the first flakes fly. The snow in this area is deep, powdery and prolific.
The High Sierra Nevada mountains are home to several of the country’s most prestigious and sought after destination ALPINE SKI RESORTS. We have three world-class ski areas (Squaw Valley, Alpine Meadows and Heavenly Valley) with another eight, slightly smaller, backing them up.
With our average snow fall of 216″ and 80% sunshine no matter what the season, our winter sports year lasts from November to June. These ski resorts have races, tours, clinics and special events throughout the winter. The following information on each of the major North Shore areas should bring you flying out here for the ski adventure of a lifetime.
- TERRAIN: 4,000 acres – 25% Beg., 45% Int., 30% Adv.; 6,200’ base elevation, 9,050’ summit, 2,850’ vertical drop, longest run is 3 miles. Open bowl trails similar to the European Alps.
- LIFTS: 1 Cable Car, 1 Funitel, 1 Pulse Gondola, 3 Express Six Pac Chairs, 4 Express Quads, 1 Fixed-Gripped Quad, 8 Triples, 10 Doubles, 3 Surface lifts and 2 Magic Carpets!
- SCHOOL: Ski, snowboard and telemark instruction; specialty women’s and advanced clinics, beginner packages. SquawKids Children’s Center – Junior Mountain 7-12, Snow School 4-6, Toddler Care 2-3.
- AMENITIES: Ski-in/Ski-out lodging, over 30 restaurants and bars, and a year-round recreation complex at the top of the mountain (High Camp) featuring indoor climbing wall, outdoor pool, spa and ice rink.
- LOCATION: 1960 Squaw Valley Rd., P. O. Box 2007, Olympic Valley, CA . 96146
- INFO: (800) 545-4350; SNOW PHONE: (530) 483-6955, (24 hour)
- TERRAIN: 2,400 skiable acres; 100+ designated runs; 25% beginner, 40% intermediate, 35% most difficult expert. 1 halfpipe & 2 terrain parks (1 beginner and 1 intermediate to advanced).
- LIFTS: One high-speed detachable six-passenger chair; one high-speed express quad; four triple and five double chairs; three surface lifts (one of two surface lifts is for Kids’ Camp participants only).
- ELEVATION: Summit 8,637’; Base 6,835’; Vertical Drop 1,800’; Longest Run: 2.5 miles.
- SCHOOL: Ski & snowboard instruction for adults and children, Tahoe Adaptive Ski School for physically and mentally challenged skiers, level III instructor-guided out-of-bounds tours, specialty lessons and specialty clinics. Kids Camp for ages 6-12, Snow School for ages 4-6.
- AMENITIES: Rental and repair shop, day lodge with large sundeck, restaurant/cocktail lounge, cafeteria, bar, on-mountain snack bar, boulangerie, mid-mountain deli, sport shop.
- SHUTTLE: Please call for schedule.
- LOCATION: 6 miles northwest of Tahoe City, CA, on Hwy. 89, P. O. Box 5279, Tahoe City, CA 96145
- INFO: (800)-441-4423, (530) 583-4232; SNOW PHONE: (530) 581-8374
- TERRAIN: 18% Beginner;46% Intermediate; 36% Advanced.
- VERTICAL: 1,840’, 4th Longest at Lake Tahoe; Longest Run: 2.5 miles.
- AMENITIES: Full-facility Base Lodge; Rental/Repair shop; Child Ski Center, Child Care; Ski School; Free ski shuttles. On-the-Mountain lake views, BBQ’s and more; One mile from the slopes: 24 hour Nevada-style night life, restaurants, shopping, recreation/fitness center and more.
- X- COUNTRY: Diamond Peak Cross Country & Snow Shoe Center.
- LOCATION: 1210 Ski Way, Incline Village, Nevada 89451
- INFO: (702) 831-3249 (24-hour); SNOW PHONE: (702) 831-3211 (24-hour)
- TERRAIN: 25% Beginner; 50% Intermediate; 25% Advanced, 50% of 63 runs have snowmaking, 2,420 acres of terrain.
- LIFTS: Express Lifts-6, Tubing Lifts-1, Surface Lifts-6, Double Lifts-2, Triple Lifts-2
- ELEVATION: Summit 8,610’; Base 6,330’; Longest Run 2.9 miles; Vertical Drop 2,280’.
- AMENITIES: On-site lodging, on-site shuttle service; Village Mall with restaurants, bars, deli, gourmet groceries, ski & snowboard rentals, repair shop, ski shop, child care center & pizza parlor; gas station; Swim & Racquet Club with lap pool, spas, saunas, fitness center, teen center; special ski/snowboard teaching area; snowmobile tours, terrain featured runs, snowshoeing, tubing.
- X-COUNTRY: 65 KM cross country center offering telemark, skating & track skiing.
- LOCATION: Hwy. 267 (6 miles) between Truckee and No. Lake Tahoe, P. O. Box 129, Truckee, CA 96160
- INFO: (530) 562-1010; SNOW PHONE: (530) 562-1330 (24 hour)
- TERRAIN: 60 runs; 20% Beginner, 30% Intermediate, 40% Advanced, 10% Expert.
- LIFTS: 2 “Six Pack”, 2 Quads (fixed grip), 2 Triple Chairs (fixed grip) and 1 Conveyor Lift (New Wonder Carpet).
- ELEVATION: Base 7,900’; Summit 9,700’; Vertical Drop 1,800’.
- SCHOOL: Personalized and group instruction available daily for every level of skier or snowboarder.
- AMENITIES: Two base lodges, food court, deli, deck BBQ, sport shop, ski & snowboard rental and repair shop.
- SHUTTLE: Depart twice daily, 7 days a week, from several Reno hotels, reservations Requested
- LOCATION: 22 miles southwest of Reno via U.S. 395 to SR 431 (Mt. Rose Hwy.) 11 miles north of Incline Village via the Mt. Rose Hwy. 22222 Mt. Rose Hwy., Reno, NV 89511
- INFO: (800) 822-6009; SNOW PHONE: (702) 849-0704
- TERRAIN: 1,500 ACRES, 17% Beginner, 45% Intermediate, 38% Advanced/Expert.
- LIFTS: 7 Quads, (4 high speed express), 3 Doubles, 1 Surface Lift & 1 Gondola.
- ELEVATION: Summit 8,383; Base 6,883; Vertical Drop 1,500’; Longest Run over 3 miles.
- SCHOOL: Mountain Sports Learn Center; personalized and group instruction offered daily for all levels of skiing and snowboarding. PSIA member certified school. Children’s Services: Summit Adventure Camp, all day children’s programs and on-site child care.
- AMENITIES: Historic lodging, fine dining, 2 cafeterias, deli, 2 bars and 2 on-site Sugar Bowl Ski & Sports shops with rentals.
- LOCATION: 10 miles west of Truckee, and 45 miles west of Reno on I-80, at the Norden exit, P. O. Box 5, Norden, CA 95724
- INFO: (530) 426-9000; SNOW PHONE: (530) 426-1111
- TERRAIN: 15% Beginner; 50% Intermediate; 35% Advanced; Double Black Diamond skiing on Quail Face; 1,260 Skiable Acres.
- LIFTS: 2 Quad Chair, 3 Triple Chairs and 4 Surface Lifts.
- SCHOOL: Daily instruction in skiing and snowboarding, including beginner lesson and rental packages. Special women’s snowboarding clinics
- CHILDREN: Homewood Children’s Center offers Ski School and licensed Child Care for children ages 2 and up.
- AMENITIES: Two lodges, one sun-deck lodge; Rental Shop with full ski and snowboard packages; retail shop.
- LOCATION: On Hwy. 89, 6 miles south of Tahoe City, 5145 West Lake Blvd., P. O. Box 165, Homewood, CA 96141
- INFO: (530) 525-2992; SNOW PHONE: (530) 525-2900
There are six formalized areas for Nordic skiers with miles of groomed trails, and there is the vast, open, backcountry, wilderness easily accessible from the highways or smaller side roads, which are plowed throughout the winter months.
Experience the wonder of trekking along the edge of a cold, bubbling stream with the sun pouring its warmth into every pore of your body. The smell of the cold, the clarity of the light enforces the gut sense of being alive, being at one with “all there is.” There is a certain sense of tranquility and contentment that invades you and captures you when you are traveling through a North Lake Tahoe winter scene by whatever mode suits your fancy.
Cross Country options at North Lake Tahoe are just about endless. The seven cross country resort areas team up to offer an interchangeable cross country lift ticket, so you can try them all at a discounted rate. For information on cross country vacation packages and season passes you can call (800) 824-6348. The information below is detailed for each resort site:
(530) 562-2475, P. O. Box 129, Truckee, CA 96160 – 38 Trails, 65 Km track.
Resort at Squaw Creek Cross Country
(530) 308-0375., P. O. Box 3333, Olympic Valley, CA 96146 – 11 Trails, 20 Km of track.
Royal Gorge Cross Country Ski Resort
(800) 500-3871 or (800) 666-3871 (No. CA), P. O. Box 1100, Soda Springs, CA 95728 – 88 Trails, 328 Km track.
Tahoe Donner Cross Country
(530) 587-9484, P. O. Box 758, Truckee, CA 96160 – 33 Trails, 70 Km track.
Tahoe Cross Country Ski Area
(530) 583-5475, P. O. Box 7260, Tahoe City, CA 96145 – 14 Trails, 65 Km track.
Sugar Pine Point State Park
(530) 525-7232, P.O. Box 266, Tahoma, CA 96142, 4 trails, 20 Km track.